4th of July in Chicago!Posted: June 18, 2012
Everyone’s favorite time of summer is coming up in less than a month: the 4th of July! Whether you’re celebrating with family, friends, or some combination of both, you’re sure to have a great time—especially in Chicago! Here a several things you can look forward to that week to relax or wet your whistle.
- Navy Pier fireworks: Navy Pier is famous for their fireworks display so bring your family out and pick a good seat before they are all gone! The free show begins at 9pm and is synchronized to patriotic music for this Independence Day!2.
- Sox vs. Rangers baseball game 6:10pm at U.S. Cellular Field. Baseball is a favorite pastime of America—so what better way to spend your 4th of July! To purchase tickets head to whitesox.mlb.com or your favorite alternative retailer such as stubhub.com
- Beaches: How lucky are we that we have over 15 miles of beaches in Chicago right on Lake Michigan! Invite all your friends, pack a cooler and enjoy a day of fun in the sun! As always, admission to the beaches is free so this activity is perfect for those on a budget!
- Red, White and Brew Pub crawl July 3rd. Pubcrawls.com has set up yet another bar crawl! This time they have carefully selected several bars in the Chicago area and set up drink specials for you and your friends! For more information or to purchase tickets visit http://pub-crawl-tickets.ticketleap.com/happy-hour-july-4th-pub-crawl-chicago/
- African/Caribbean International Festival of Life in Washington Park July 4-8. The IFOL festival is celebrating their 20th annual festival this year with reggae, gospel and calypso music. Food and artist vendors will also be on site. Be sure to stop by and check this out—it is sure to be a great time!
Not interested in hitting the town this 4th of July Weekend? Here are several patriotic recipes to try at your next BBQ!
- Shrimp Boil Kebabs
1/2 pound small new potatoes
2 small ears corn, cut into 1 1/2 inch rounds
1/2 pound Andouille sausage, cut into 1 inch rounds
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 stick butter, melted
4 teaspoons Tabasco
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
Boil the potatoes in salted water over medium-high heat for about 12-15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Thread potatoes, corn, Andouille and shrimp onto skewers. (This makes about 4 skewers.)
Heat grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil the grill. In a small bowl, combine the butter, Tabasco and Old Bay. Grill kebabs turning and brushing with butter mixture occasionally until the shrimp are cooked through and corn in starting to char, about 8 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges. (Source: http://cookauvin.blogspot.ca/2011/07/shrimp-boil-kebabs.html)
2. Pretzel Americana
4 oz chopped semisweet chocolate
24 pretzel rods
sprinkles of your choice
Place chopped semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted. Once melted, remove from heat.
With a pastry brush, coat the upper third of each pretzel rod with melted chocolate. Cover with sprinkles.
Stand pretzels upright in a glass and place in refrigerator until firm (about 5 minutes). (Source: http://www.marthastewart.com/272366/fourth-of-july-pretzel-sparklers)
Enjoy!! Happy 4th of July everyone!